Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Sweet & Spicy Korean Lentils

Last night I had my first try when it came to spicing Korean Lentils.  I used green lentils in this which seems to take me forever to cook down.  I prefer red lentils - just for the record.  These were ok for a first attempt but I will be tweaking them.  The flavoring ended up being pretty tasty and it seemed to marinate them but I would like a little bit more standing sauce for these.  I can see them working in a Korean equivalent of a Sloppy Joe that way.




Ingredients to combine & cook down:
1 C Lentils
2 1/2 C Water
1/4 C Bragg's Aminos
2 T Minced Garlic
2 T Minced Onion
1 T Minced Ginger
1 t Sesame Oil
1 T White Sesame Seeds
3 T Brown Sugar
Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)



The default seems to be to throw a bit of them on top of the rice like I did in the first 2 photos.  In the last one, I couldn't help but stir the flavorful lentils in with the rice.

Again, I would also like to try them on a bun for a twist on a Sloppy Joe but I really think it needs a thick sauce.  Like a Korean BBQ Sauce or something.

Don't know unless you try, right?  What do you thinking of my Vegan Korean Lentils?

22 comments:

  1. I love the idea of Korean lentils! Trader Joe's has a Korean BBQ sauce that has gochujang in it and I bet that would make an excellent sloppy lentil joe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to think if that was the BBQ I bought the last time I was there - I will have to double check!

      Delete
  2. Me and my SO watched Korean shows for a while and it's funny but you always want to try their slightly different foods, this is a cool and easy enough to serve as an introduction :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to find some other easier recipes and ideas to veganize, too! Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. The ladies in the house are so into anything Korean, the influence of all the Korean shows on TV. My missus even makes her own kim chi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to try and make a version of kimchi soon, too!

      Delete
  4. I have had green lentils cooked with bacon and I thought they were amazing. I am sure your Spicy Korean Lentils are very tasty judging from the list of ingredients. I would eat them mixed up with rice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if Seitan or Tempeh would work in place of Bacon for a vegan version???

      Delete
  5. Oh this sounds delicious! I never would have thought to use lentils but this sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I would like to use red lentils to see the difference!

      Delete
  6. When I think of Korean food, I think of a bunch of little side dishes. I bet your lentils and rice would go fantastically with a side of kimchi or a Korean pickle of some sort. But the BBQ sauce sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to attempt some sides down the road, too! I really need to make kimchi as well!

      Delete
  7. I used to do lentils for baby food. Yep the red ones are a lot friendlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the red ones are easier to work with LOL :)

      Delete
  8. This sounds wonderful, never tried this seasoning blend with lentils but I must now. Thanks! Our furkids love plain cooked lentils with their V-Dog food with a little warm water and/or veggie broth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see about giving some to our pups to see what they think of plain lentils! Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  9. So many gorgeous ingredients - ginger and garlic make everything taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete