Thursday, April 3, 2014

Vegan Dinner Plate & First Dehydrator Challenge Post - "Project ONION"

TOMORROW the Link Party will be up for the BRAND NEW Dehydrator Challenge that Opal is hosting!  YAY!  I'm posting a day early but will LINK UP once it's LIVE, too!  I hope you will join us!  It's going to be a weekly link up to encourage those people who have dehydrators to get them out and USE them!  If you do NOT have a dehydrator you can still participate - just use your oven at a lower temperature setting!

Before I get to my Project ONION post for the dehydrator challenge this week I thought I would share my dinner plate with you last night.  It's was a FAST MEAL with few ingredients.  I did white rice with mushrooms.  The mushrooms I buy are fresh or frozen.  I will no longer purchase the canned variety since reading an article about how there can be up to 38 (un)identified bacteria in the can.  YES...some bacterias are 'good for you' but these are said to be 38 of the BAD variety...anyhow..I won't buy canned mushrooms...only fresh and frozen.  The ones pictured here are frozen that I did on my stove top with water.  With the added water it made a bit of a mushroom broth of sorts so I mixed that in with the white rice.  I saved about 1/4 C of the mushrooms to use for the dehydrator recipe.  I just let them thaw.  Then you will see I have some Triscuits as well as some corn.  This corn was also from frozen and I added some Wildtree Dill for a little extra flavor.  I didn't take a photo but for a snack last night I had a vegan Amaranth Quinoa Waffle that I topped with cherries.

Now...on to the Dehydrator FUN!  I made up the 'batter' for this creation and used it TWO ways!  First...I did some "pull apart crisps" or "veggie crunch" I guess you could call it.  Here's what I used to make this 'batter'...

2 C Sprouted Chickpeas
1/4-1/4 C Mushrooms
1 ONION
1/4 C Raw Sunflower Seeds
3 T Hemp Seeds
1 Small Zuke
2 T Minced Garlic
2 T Sun Dried Tomatoes, Minced
2 Grape Tomatoes
2 T Tahini

The 2nd photo - using the same 'batter' I scooped out into 'patties' or 'pucks'. 

I haven't taste tested the patties yet but at least one of them will be a part of my dinner this evening.  I did try a little bit of the Veggie Crunch and it was YUMMY.

They were in my Excalibur for about 13 or 14 hours at about 115.  I flipped both about 2 hours in.  I was able to accomplish a few things by doing this recipe!  One...I used up my mini zuke and tomatoes that were sitting around for a bit - that I HAD to hurry up and use, Two...I USED ONION in this recipe that was part of the challenge this week, and Three...I have 2 different foods I can munch on for the next few (or more) days!

SUBMIT Your Raw Food/Dehydrated Creations on this week's Dehydrator Challenge!

8 comments:

  1. Yummy. Great recipes. I will try this soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe inspiration, thanks. I need to get my dehydrator out because I have a lot of kale ready to harvest in the garden! Sadly I won't have time this weekend. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to post on Thursdays!!! Maybe you can jump in next week or the week after that :) We'd LOVE to have you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jennifer,
    I love reading about your dehydrating adventures. They are so inspiring. I am hoping to buy my dehydrator soon and join the fun.
    Your onion crackers look yummy! I am so glad you shared this delicious raw recipe at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was "off" this week with a head cold but hope to jump back on soon! Let me know when you get your dehydrator! Can't wait! Woot!

      Delete
  4. Love seeing all your dehydrated goods =)
    I didn't know that about mushrooms. I used to LOVE canned when I was a kid, but haven't touched the stuff since going vegan as I just try to get as much fresh as possible - good to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...that freaked me out when I read that! The texture of the frozen ones is a bit different but the flavor is much better anyways :) YES! Fresh is certainly best, tho!

      Delete