Friday, April 4, 2014

Thankful ~ Quick Vegan Snacks!

I really enjoy simple snacks.  Especially since going vegan.  I have more of an appreciation for them now than I ever have.  I'm also thankful for my local "Herb Store" where I buy most of my bulk items as well as some snack to have while I'm at work! 

I'm kind of going backwards here - but I REALLY wanted to show you what I did for a quick and easy dessert last night! 

Underneath these cherries?  Raw dates rolled in coconut that I smushed down into a 'crust-like' base.  I then used some canned cherries that happened to be vegan that I found at a discount store a while back.  I would have used fresh but they are not readily available in my area at the moment.  I have shredded coconut on hand so I sprinkled that on top as well.  This was VERY satisfying and VERY MUCH a treat!  I only did a "mini pie"...I used a dish that we have on hand for dips/dressing/condiments.

In case you cannot picture what I am talking about with the dates rolled in coconuts...here's a photo!  I ate two small 'rolls' yesterday with my lunch, too!

Another thing I am thankful for is dried apricots!  When I was 3 years old my FAVORITE foods were dried apricots, lima beans, and sprouts!  My mom should have KNOWN I would grow up to be a vegetarian with a menu like that, eh!?  These are just a few things I have been thankful for this week!

10 comments:

  1. I so agree - easy vegan snacks are where it's at! Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for hosting the weekly link up!

      Delete
  2. I love to eat dates stuffed with nut butter and then rolled in coconut- such a yummy salty/sweet snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Those are great as well! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. Looks great and so true on great vegan snacks. I love snacking on dates, raisins, apple chips, and nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get into raisins more! I really don't mind them just tend to forget about them. I usually don't care for them in foods but there was this one dish of rice and sweet chutney that was good years ago that a friend of mine made for a potluck :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jennifer,
    I love your idea of smushing dates and rolling them in coconut to make a vegan pie crust. This is such a great idea for a variety of dessert fillings. Thank you for sharing these delightful desserts at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Link Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deborah! It was super tasty, too!

      Delete
  5. You liked lima beans & sprouts as a child? You lucky duck =) I wish I would have ;p I feel like I'm making up for lost time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are other foods I wasn't crazy about as a kid that I like now :) I truly believe that our tastes change throughout the years! Better late than never, eh!? :)

      Delete