Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Garlic Lemon Tahini Dressing, Wine Spotting, Kiku Apples, Dragon Carrots, & Watermelon Radishes

Last night I had my main dinner already planned - just needed to warm it up - it was the Hummus Quinoa Casserole I blogged about yesterday topped with veggies and the Tomato Garlic Sauce I also blogged about yesterday.  I had a little bit of my raw Vegan Chedda Cheese Sauce left and decided to throw that on top as well.  I wanted to have a salad with it and was totally out of dressing. 

I decided to whip up a quick one in my Vitamix...

Here's what I did...

1/4 C Grapeseed Oil
2/3 C Lemon Juice
1/4 C Tahini
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1/2 Small Onion
Small Handful Parsley
1/2 T Agave
1/2 tea Wildtree California Garlic Pepper

It turned out AWESOME!  I also made a Black Bean Soup but I will have to blog about that at another time...I seemed to have misplaced my recipe notes for the time being. 

My father sent me this photo of his wine that he made.  I think he took it to a friend and colleague this past week.  If it was either of the two wines that I have sampled - I think it's a real winner!  Speaking of which...I think he's going to enter it into a wine making competition next month so I will be sure to report back!

In other news...we've been on a bit of a SWEET Apple Kick lately!  Hubby, included!  I'm partial to Pink Lady Apples when I want a sweet apple.  We were able to get those a few weeks ago but then they have been all sold out the last few times we have been on the hunt for them.  We tried Red Delicious and they weren't all that great the time we bought them from a local grocery store.  We were left wanting.  We then tried Fuji and they were lovely but we also bought some Kiku Apples at the same time and I have to give them a shout out!  Pretty Awesome Apples!  They claim they are the sweetest apple you would ever eat and I have to agree they are darn sweet!  They are roughly the same size and color as a Fuji.  They are a little sweeter than Fuji as well as a bit crispier than Fuji.  I was excited to read about this Apple Story HERE.  These apples now have a place in our hearts!  We will certainly be buying them again when we are able to get our hands on them!

I know I have been chattering and chattering about all of our plans for our Rooftop Garden and I hope I'm not to the point of being annoying before we have even started! haha...but...what can I say...I'm excited!

Look at these carrots!  Aren't they wonderful!?  I thought so, too, that's why I added them to my list of things to get from SeedSaverExchange.  They are called Dragon Carrots.  And are the most refined purple carrot available; bred by John Navazio. Sure to be the best selling carrot at specialty and farmers’ markets. Beautiful red-purple exterior provides an amazing contrast with the yellow-orange interior when sliced. Sweet, almost spicy flavor.

Fellow bloggers talked about these Watermelon Radish last year and I was so jealous that they were able to try them and I wasn't.  I haven't been able to find these ANYWHERE near here so of course I had to add them to the list.

(aka Roseheart, Chinese Red Meat) Round 2-4" white radish with a stunning dark pink and white interior. Flesh is surprisingly sweet, crisp, and refreshing. Best grown in cool weather. Warm days, cool nights, and adequate nutrition and moisture result in a more colorful interior.

It says to plant them in full sun!  I think this just might work on the hot roof!   I love the color of these and in other photos I have seen they really do look like little watermelons.


10 comments:

  1. I love those carrots! And I must try tahini in my salad dressing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Yes! Do! Tahini is GREAT in dressings!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to try this yummy. Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably in the top 5 of the dressings I have made so far.

      Delete
  3. The recipe looks great, thanks! And the carrots are awesome, I can occasionally find them at Whole Foods but may need to try growing some this year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the items I have found to try and grow are the ones I can't find locally - which is nearly EVERYTHING that isn't 'run-of-the-mill' but it will surely make for an interesting rooftop garden and project :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jennifer,
    I love the way you share so much of your healthy, green and natural life with us. You are an inspiration! It's so wonderful to read your delectable recipe for Vegan Chedda Cheese Sauce. I can't wait to try this. It will satisfy my creamy cravings.
    Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delicious recipe on the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement! DO let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  5. You always have such yummy sounding eats!!
    Apples are probably my fav fruit - but I'm more of a "sour" gal with granny smiths myself =)
    Keep us posted about your dad's wine!
    And DRAGON CARROTS look so pretty!!!! Your garden sounds so fun =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like 'sour' flavors as well! I should post more about specific flavors soon, eh!? I hope to blog about his Wine adventures as often as I can :) He's really enjoying it! I really hope those Dragon Carrots do well! heck I hope it ALL does :) We are starting indoor stuff this weekend :)

      Delete