Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Blissful Art Journey ~ Mandalas

One of the things I have been tinkering with lately in my Craft Room is Mandalas.  What got me interested in Mandalas was THIS VIDEO from Matt Monarch of the Raw Food World and Raw Food TV Show.  But after really doing some research I've found they are close to the Sand Art that Monks do and while I was in college back in '97 took a trip to an Art Museum in Cleveland where Monks were set up for 2 weeks working round-the-clock on their masterpiece while in silent mediation and only eating fruit and drinking water.  It was amazing.  Now that I know more about Mandalas in all walks of life I'm finding there is no wrong way to do them.  I'm not going to lie...I'm certainly NOT a mathematician therefore I doubt I will ever take a contractor to it they did in Matt's video.  I have seen several other videos of people free handing them and I tried my every first free hand Mandala over the weekend. 

The one you see above is from a book I bought and it's not quite done yet.  I think I will be leaving some white space in the first one but not as much as you see here.  I also like the fact you can work on these over time or all at once.  It's very calming.  I'm enjoying them.  The free hand one I did is the 2nd photo.  Again...it was my very first one.  I think I will continue to do these.  My husband already has requested one for the home recording studio.

Have you ever seen mandalas before or tried doing any on your own!?

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting, I've never worked with Mandalas before, but this looks like a fun way to focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! You MUST try 'em! I am quickly becoming addicted the them!

      Delete
  2. They're beautiful! Love the first one especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Suituapui! They are fun and calming. Great to do at the end of a busy day!

      Delete
  3. My former boss used to make them. I was blown away at how talented she was, such a shame she was so spiteful. I wish her well though and hope she has conquered her inner demons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Sorry to hear she was conflicted. Perhaps the Mandalas help with the issues/anger.

      I can totally see myself doing MANY more of these! I also have DOZENS of tags I have done in the last few weeks! I have been tinkering with Alcohol Inks and Distress Stains, too! LOVE them!

      Delete
    2. Well you need to share them, ahem. Impatiently taps fingers...

      Delete
    3. LOL - Hopefully today! At least the start of them!

      Delete
  4. I have never even heard of mandalas, but they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I will be doing more of them very soon! They are nice on-going projects!

      Delete