Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Vegan Pakistani Kima, Music, and Siblings

I was reading a lot of blogs and recipe sites over the past week about Pakistani Foods and a way to veganize them.  I came across Pakistani Kima on a few of them and noticed there were many variations!  From what I gather Kima has the Pakistani version of their their hamburger in it.  I'm far from knowledgeable on Pakistani Foods but am trying to learn so if I am incorrect I do apologize!  Anyhow...I decided to make some last night.  This is what I came up with.  At first I thought I put too much curry in it but it ended up soaking in quite nicely and I was pleased with the way this turned out.  It made a HUGE batch, too!  

2 Veggie Burgers (I used Boca's Vegan Grillers - Cubed) - see note below as to why
1 onion (I used a small handful of Wildtree Onion & Chive)
3 Cloves Garlic (I used Wildtree's Garlic Galore, 1 T)
3 T Grapeseed Oil
1 Can of Kidney Beans
1+ C Spinach
1 C Carrots (shaved, chopped, or sliced) 
2 Potatoes
1 C Water
1+ T Curry
Dash of Cinnamon & Turmeric

I ended up using the Vegan Griller Veggie Burger from Boca because I had some on hand.  I don't really care for them as I think they lack taste but with something like this I figured it would absorb the flavors and it did.  I don't think the veggie burger is necessary in this, tho.  I would have been fine with the Kidney Beans as the ingredient for the vegan/protein ingredient instead.  There are many ways to do this.  You could also add peas, different kinds of beans instead of Kidney, add some ginger (which I was out of), etc. 

I think I will do at least one more Pakistani Dish this week!  I'm thinking Kidney Beans (Rajma)...time will tell.  I do have a few other ideas but lack the ingredients and am not sure if I can get to the store before the week ends plus I am not sure if the stores I have access to have the ingredients I am looking for.  Or they may have the ingredients but at an absurd price or they may not look very good.  That is what I have been running into lately.  I can't wait until Spring so I can start driving a little farther without worry.  I'm totally over winter!  I'm NOT a Winter Weather Fan...this coming from someone who has lived in the snow belt her entire life. 

Anyhow...You can see a new PUP Pic!  This was also taken last night!  Bro and Sis decided to lay next to each other and be cute.  And now it's time for my 10 Random Shuffle Songs of the Day!

No Doubt - Excuse Me Mister
Damien Marley - Born To Be Wild
Joni Mitchell - Blonde In The Bleachers
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
Blues Traveler - Run Around
Ani DiFranco - Your Next Bold Move
Fiona Apple - Sleep To Dream
Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
Jack Johnson - Upside Down
Jason Mraz - I Won't Give Up

Participating Post:

6 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! Thanks for posting : )

    And, the "kids" are adorable - as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Indian food. I plan to make some this weekend. I made eggrolls last night but they're gone now. I should have taken the picture before they were eaten.

    Your furbabies look adorable and I see Paco is wearing one of his outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved Indian food for a long while but haven't had as many Pakistani-Specific Dishes. I'm enjoying my World Food attempts and am learning a lot! You're egg rolls sound great! I don't have that talent to handle phylo dough or egg roll dough - heck I even have a problem with seaweed for sushi! LOL

      I need to get Paco some more sweaters! He likes this one and his Orange one but doesn't like his snuggie! LOL

      Delete