Monday, February 25, 2013

Vegan Cabbage Rolls, Healthy Vegan Challenge Start, Norwegian Mustard Sauce, Silly Pups, and Stuff

First things First!  Hello Monday!  Today is the FIRST Day of the Healthy Vegan Challenge over at Carrie On Vegan and I'll be participating as I mentioned before!  I'm rather excited about it!  So keep an eye out on near future related posts!  Today's post includes several attempts that fit within this challenge as well!  Such as - one of my goals was to make at least one home made salad dressing per week!  I already accomplished this for THIS WEEK.  More on that below.  Another goal of mine was to continue on with the World Foods Veg*n Style!  I also am doing this!  BECAUSE...this week is Vegan Foods of NORWAY Week!  But before I get to that I have these Cabbage Rolls to share with you!
I was super happy with my very first attempt at Vegan Cabbage Rolls!  They took a long time to do which I am NOT known for at all!  I like quick and easy!  But I would 'treat myself' with these on occasion!  Here is what I did!

For the filling I used:

1 C Cooked Quinoa
2 C Black Beans
1 T Garlic Galore from Wildtree
and I cooked down in some of the sauce.

For the Sauce I used:
1 Medium Onion
2 Smaller Cans of Diced Tomatoes with Green Chili's
About 6-ounces of Tomato Sauce
1/4 C Agave Nectar

I covered the rolls in the sauce and baked for about 45 mins at 375.


 And now for my first Norwegian Addition for this week!  I'm part Norwegian!  I've done a lot of research on my Norwegian Roots with the help of an online friend named Ann!  She's wonderful and I couldn't have done it without her!

When I saw a recipe for Norwegian Mustard Sauce recently I was excited because many of the ingredients I had in my pantry but I wanted to tinker with some of my alternative products, too!

So I ended up doing this recipe last night that I altered quite a bit!  I also ended up using some of my Wildtree Products in this!

3 T Wildtree Dill Blend
2 T Yellow Mustard
1 T Agave Nectar
2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
2 T Wildtree Garlic Grapeseed Oil
1 T Lemon Juice

I added this all to my Ninja and came up with the photo you see here!  BOY OH BOY!  It packs a powerful punch!  I could probably do with 1 to 2 T at the most of the Dill in this case but I'm going to enjoy it regardless!

I can picture this on a salad, as a marinade for Kale Chips or Tofu, or even as a coating for Spinach or Cauliflower!
I had to add a few weekend photo's of the dogs!  They were overly silly this weekend!  The cats were pretty low key but still as cute as ever!  This morning Gabby freaked out a little and it made me laugh out loud!

Anyhow...here is Riley and Suzie!

Suzie's been doing this thing were she'll get REALLY close to Riley either on the floor or on the sofa...I mean, we have a large floor space and The sofa is pretty big, too, but were ever Riley is she'll nearly sit on him as if there were 'no room'.  Here...Riley was laying on his back.  He lays on his back more than any dog I have met!  Suzie went up to him and nearly sat on his shoulder!  Silly Kids!

And over here...is Paco!  If you look really close his tooth is sticking out!  He was totally attached to his "daddy" this weekend!  Even more than usual.

He's surely NOT a afraid of the camera!  He's a HAM.

Some of you know I am not the best at Meal Planning so I often call it Meal HOPE.  Here is what I have in mind for this week so far!

Monday -
Breakfast - Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal
Lunch - Vegetable Soup
Snack - Flax Crackers
Dinner - Leftover Cabbage Rolls

Tuesday -
Breakfast - TBA Oatmeal
Lunch - TBA Veggie Stir Fry
Dinner - Tofurky Kielbasa
Snack - Crackers & Maple Peanut Butter

Wednesday -
Breakfast - Fruit Smoothie
Lunch - Leftover Veggie/Rice/Stirfry
Dinner - Falafel with sauce
Snack - Apple

Thursday -
Breakfast - TBA Smoothie
Lunch - TBA Cauliflower Dish
Dinner - Leftover Falafel and rice
Snack - Dates & Maple Peanut Butter

Friday - TBA Oatmeal
Lunch - Leftovers OR Soup
Dinner - HUGE Salad
Snack - TBA Crackers

Saturday & Sunday - TBA

I already have TONS to post for tomorrow but realize this post is long enough for the day so I will wait.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  I LOVE comments - drop me one - if you have time!  Thanks! 

Participating In: Meal Plan Monday - Mellow Yellow Mondays - Catching The Light - Mandarin Orange Monday - Hello Monday - Mix It Up Monday - Macro Monday - Miscellany Monday - Sunday Snapshot - Camera Critters - Pet Pride - Just Another Meatless Monday - Made By You Monday - My Meatless Mondays - Project 52 - Simple As That - Veggie Mama's Meatless Monday - Marvelous In My Monday  - Clever Clicks 


12 comments:

  1. Your cabbage roll looks very tasty!

    Hopping by from Mellow Yellow.
    Sweet Yellow Treats
    Your comment is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! I'm planning on visiting you soon!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennifer, Love the recipes (wish you would cook them for me LOL!) but I wondered looking at your meal plan, are you eating enough? I have been vegan 18 years and I eat like a horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! Did you see the rest of my Pakistani Foods Last week!?

      For my meal plan....it's a start but I do end up adding on as the week goes on :) LOL

      I guess it's more like a starting point/plan for me :)



      Delete
  3. I cook a lot of international cuisines but never Norwegian. I love the look of your sauce. If only I didn't just finish off the last of my dill this weekend. Gah, a day too late! Bookmarked for next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the original recipes I saw said 5 T of Fresh Dill...I used 3 T of dry/blend and could have gotten away with half that. :)

      Thanks for visiting! I'll be hopping over to your place, soon!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I'm stopping by from Organizing Junkie's Menu Plan Monday today for a blog visit.
    Looks like there's going to be some delicious meals this week at your house.
    This gal is always looking for recipe ideas and inspiration.
    Thanks for participating in MPM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! It's great to see more people from MPM!

      Delete
  5. Adorable pup pics and the wrap and dressing look wonderful! I must try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Looking forward to more of your creations, too! And puppers!!!

      Delete
  6. Your cabbage roll looks good! I'm with you though - if it takes too long- it doesn't get fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I'm not alone! I did notice that while eating them for dinner last night they are even better the 2nd night! Woot!

      Delete