Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Vegan Street Food & Popcorn

I've had a rough day.  I needed a brain break.  Just a few moments to travel far, far away somewhere...if only in my mind.

It made me think of one of the books on my bookshelf...Vegan Street Food from Jackie Kearney.  In this book, she takes you on a culinary journey from the Himalayas to the South China Sea.  There are recipes for vegan street food from India to Indonesia.

As much as I would like to ACTUALLY travel - I know it's not possible.  So I need to use the resources I do have to daydream to far away places.  Between that and world food dishes - they somehow make me feel a bit better.



I did find a lot of the recipes complicated or the ingredients hard to find for someone who isn't near a large city with access to a lot of world food spices and ingredients.  But I still adore this book for other reasons.  The stories, photos, maps, and escape of it all.

Another thing I have gnawing on lately is Lesser Evil's Buddha Bowl Avocado-Licious Organic Popcorn.  It's made with Avocado Oil.  It's vegan and gluten-free - among other things.

Brain Break Complete...for now.

14 comments:

  1. Have a break!!! Come, fly all the way here. For one thing, everything here is cheap...except maybe things imported from abroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could! And with the back-to-back snow storms we are in the middle of at the moment it sounds even better to me!!!

      Delete
  2. I have asked for her other book, My Vegan Travels, to be under my Christmas tree this year, and I am pretty excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to eat avocado. Didn't know that there are avocado oil. Must be expensive since avocado is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...Avocado Oil is expensive here for sure. Most oils are. Canola oil and vegetable oil are the only two that aren't pricey but then again I couldn't tell you the last time I used either of those oils.

      Delete
  4. Sorry you had a rough time but this seems like a perfect solution! What a cool idea for a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a rough year. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to check out the book, what a fun way to mix things up. I hear ya on traveling, tough for us now with family drama and pet care challenges, but I need a vacation too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on all of those things! I will have to drop you an email one of these days to catch up!

      Delete
  6. I feel you about a book like that! I have a Southeast Asian cookbook and I would just flip through it and look at the photos and read the summaries about the customs. I don't know if I even made ANYTHING from that cookbook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who does that! LOL

      Delete