Monday, April 25, 2016

Vegan 'Meaty' Stew?

I have to admit this sort of freaked me out!  Even my mother said it looked like 'meat' you would put in a stew.  It's not.  It's actually Jackfruit!

My mother is not a vegetarian and she sampled a little bit of this Sesame Ginger Teriyaki Jackfruit and thought it tasted like meat, too!

Normally I am not a fan of meat alternatives or fake meats but I think because this is straight up fruit based it seemed to be better than a lot of the others you see on the market.

It came as a packet that you could heat and serve and I just added carrots to it and poured it over pasta.



Here's a photo of the package!  It's from the Jackfruit Company.  It's Nut-Free, Dairy-Free, and Vegan.  It's the Sesame Ginger flavor.

Overall it was a very impressive product.  I don't think it's something that I would eat everyday as it was a little more salty than I like...but it had a good flavor.

The reason I bought it was purely because of the Jackfruit!  It's rare to find Jackfruit anything around me!  I've only ever had Jackfruit flavored things and have also had dried Jackfruit that I bought from The Raw Food World.  This was a nice change and certainly gave me some ideas as to what to do with it if I can find some down the road.  Other ideas that I am drawn to are Jackfruit Tacos and Jackfruit Sandwiches (instead of Pulled Pork Sandwiches), for example.

14 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you found that, I've never heard of that brand or flavor, but I love sesame ginger anything! I love making BBQ jackfruit sandwiches with slaw on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got this in Ohio! Went to the Whole Foods Market there about 2 months ago? Maybe a little less than two months!?

      Delete
  2. That is cool. We don't have prepared jackfruit products like that here. But I can buy the young jackfruit in brine so I have done a couple of slow cooker recipes that were nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!!!! I'd be interested in seeing those recipes!

      Delete
  3. I am lucky to have asian food markets near me so I was able to save some cash that way. It is so yummy. I would always get pulled pork sandwiches before vegan and always get disappointed- it tasted too much of meat. Then when I used jackfruit it was like exactly what I wanted- all BBQ flavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I will keep an eye out for more Jackfruit products that is for sure!

      Delete
  4. Very cool and it looks good! I have sampled jackfruit products, but have not purchased any yet and will be looking for this! There is a massive international market not that far from us that I've been planning to make a road trip to soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there were more world markets near me!!!!

      Delete
  5. I've really been getting into jackfruit lately; it's definitely freaky-lookin when it's in the pan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to try Jackfruit! People can't seem to stop talking about it, and I do like the idea of a fake meat that is a bit more natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean :) It's seems to be quite trendy at the moment...thankfully...it's also good for us!

      Delete
  7. Looks good! I was excited to hear about jackfruit the first time and enjoyed it. I've had it a few times since then - I just wish it was a little higher in protein like the other fake meats. But I'm with 'ya - not a fan of fake meat in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Upton Naturals at home I still need to consume! Soon I am thinking :)

      Delete