Friday, September 27, 2013

Vegan MoFo Coming TO A Close ~ Raw Vegan Swiss Cheese Spread & Altered Framed Art

I've been taking it easy getting back into crafting lately.  I have been working on this upcycled frame.  I used Powdered Chalk blended with acrylic and metallic type paints to get this color.  I painted on several layers.  I also painted right over the glass frame.  No real reason - just felt like it!  On top of the glass I used these embellishments.  I think it would look neat over our faux fireplace mantle for Fall/Autumn.  I bought this frame a while back for a dollar at the Dollar Tree.  I think I bought a few others as well so I will probably end up doing more altered and upcycled art with it.  I've also been into Mixed Media and Art Journaling more lately, too!

Vegan MoFo 2013 is coming to an end.  The last day is Monday which also marks the end of the month.  I will miss it but will continue to post more Vegan Dishes and Recipes here on my site as I did before.  I've meet a few great people thru it this year and I hope to keep in touch with them and their blogs.

As for today's food related post - I decided to try and do a Raw Vegan "cheesy-like" spread.  It ended up tasting VERY good and resembles the flavor of Swiss Cheese.  I would like to try this again and get it more firm to try and slice it for 'cheese slices'.  

Here's the recipe for this one...

Raw Vegan Swiss Cheese Spread:

1/2 C Pine Nuts
1/4 C Hemp Hearts/Hemp Seeds
1 T Nutritional Yeast
1 T Lemon Juice
1/4-1/2 C Water
Splash of Garlic Grapeseed Oil
Pinch Pink Himalayan Sea Salt

The Grapeseed I use is organic and in raw form.  I realize Nutritional Yeast isn't necessarily raw but many raw foodists still use it in their foods.  I think that if I try and dehydrate the spread for a bit it might be able to be sliced but I will experiment with that at some point.  This works well for a dip and/or a spread as it is right now and full of flavor!


10 comments:

  1. The frame is adorable, perfect for fall. The spread sounds great, very decadent with pine nuts - wow! Agreed on nutritional yeast, I make a non-raw exception for it and use it as a topping or mix with hemp seeds and seasonings for a high raw vegan alternative to parm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do something similar with the Nutritional Yeast paired with Sesame Seeds! I will have to try the hemp seeds instead!

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful piece of art. Looks simple yet a pleasant sight to behold. Wouldn't mind having one like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love upcycled art! Very cute! And a raw cheese spread sounds perfect. I have been eating too many vegan bad foods lately. I need some more healthy. Yay raw!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope to post more raw ideas...hopefully!

      Delete
  4. These look beyond good! Love a bit of creaminess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was very pleased with the way the pine nuts and hemp seeds did get creamy sometimes they have been a bit gritty but this was great!

      Delete
  5. Your frame is beautiful!!!
    And the cheese spread sounds so good =) Let us know if you end up trying to dehydrate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I can't believe I missed a whole week of blogging! Hope to be back ASAP :)

      I made another cheese spread - Almond - it was so good and I hope to make it often and tinker with flavors, even! Hope to blog about that soon, too!

      Delete