Monday, January 21, 2019

Weekend Hibernation


This past weekend was CRAZY!  I never left the house.  We received about 2 feet of snow and this morning it was -2 degrees.  My BIL in Erie got about 3 feet of snow and my sister in Bemus Point got about 3 feet as well.

So...I hunkered down...and hibernated, basically.

I made a LARGE vat of soup as you can see above.  I like to call it Creamy Lentil.

1 C Lentils
2 Carrots
4 C Water
Spices: Onion Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder,  Cumin, Parsley, Black Sea Salt...all to taste
2 T Earth Balance Vegan Margarine 

Once all cooked in a large pot I put everything in a high-speed blender.  I added a handful of cashews and more water until I reached the desired consistency.

I've had 3 meals from it so far and the 3rd time I had a bowl I added from Daiya American Cheese and it made a nice Vegan Cheese Soup.  Tonight I might add some veggies and finish it off.


Cricket was less than impressed with the cold.  She will not go outside and she's been doing everything in her power to stick to me like glue and get under the blanket.  This from someone who doesn't usually like burrowing in blankets.  


Check these 'bad boys' out!  I made Tofu Bites!  I basically coated them in All Purposed Flour, Garlic, Smoked Paprika, Onion Powder, Black Sea Salt and Grapeseed Oil.  I baked them at 375 for about 30 or more minutes until somewhat chewy.


But what really MADE these Tofu Bites was the sauce I made for them!  I was overjoyed with the flavor of this sauce and will be making this OFTEN!

1/3 - 1/2 C Just Mayo
3 T Yellow Mustard
3 T Maple Syrup
3 T Sweet BBQ Sauce (I chose one from Wegman's that was clearly marked VEGAN)
1 T Lemon flavored Balsamic (or you can use 1/2 T Lemon Juice & 1/2 T Balsamic)


So needless to say, I was drinking HOT TEA all weekend long and catching up on LOTS of Tea Reviews over at Sororitea Sisters...when it came to my attention that I totally forgot to mention it was Betty White's 97th Birthday last week!  "Rose" from the Golden Girls was the first Funko Pop I bought and I knew I had to post something on IG.  So for those of you who aren't on IG...here is the pic I posted.


I also ALMOST forgot that I still had some Vegan Cookie Batter from EatPastry in my frig so I busted that open and made some Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies!

16 comments:

  1. That soup looks OUTSTANDING!! Great idea to add the cashews!
    Oh man, I do not miss those days in Erie at all. Although I actually do enjoy hibernating!! Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Honestly, the only 2 reasons I added the handful of cashews is because I had them and wanted to recycle the then-empty container and because I wanted it a bit thicker! LOL :) But it all worked out well!

      Delete
  2. Oh my god I am with Cricket, I would not be leaving the blanket with those sorts of temperatures! However a huge pot of soup sounds perfect to warm up with.
    That sauce for the tofu sounds seriously amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how good it was - the sauce, that is!

      Delete
  3. I love that Wegmans explicitly labels their vegan products as vegan. It really helps make shopping more straightforward (though I read all the labels out of habit and paranoia anyway). Your sauce does sound like a nice accompaniment for tofu bites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing! I think that there is going to be something mislabeled or something! Eeeek!

      Delete
  4. what a sweet little dog you have there. hard to imagine all that snow as we are sweltering away in a very hot summer here in australia. keep warm! :) cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember this time last year, too, our Australian friends said the same thing about their high temps! For kicks...I looked at the weather in Mission Beach Australia and it said they are in the upper 70s and lower 80s...that sounds wonderful! Are you hotter than that?

      Delete
  5. OMG that is so much snow, I do not envy you at all! A weekend in does sound nice though and all of the warm comfort food is perfect! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up getting a bit more, too, and we are supposed to get an inch of ice tonight I think. It was -5 when I drive to work this morning...brrrr!

      Delete
  6. That is a crazy amount of snow, poor you and poor pups! My won't go out in rain, I can only imagine how they'd handle snow! Great eats, especially the soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cricket isn't going out in the snow this time around. Riley doesn't mind it at first but then he stands on 3 legs!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you really got hit by the snow! Your soup sounds great, and how adorable is Cricket! The tofu bites sound super fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love peanut butter. Wouldn't mind having those cookies for tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were tasty! I think I might have to make some more soon!

      Delete