Friday, January 3, 2014

A Word About Farro AND Recipes for Farro with Artichokes, Sun Dried Tomatoes, & Pine Nuts AND a Blackberry Chia Smoothie

Oh YUM!  So...I made this for my lunch today and I have to say it's WONDERFUL!  I would have to say it's probably one of my new favorite dishes!  It's chewy, flavorful, and filling!  Here's what's in it...

1/2 C Farro (Nature's Earthly Choice)
About 3 C Water (to cook the Farro in)
1/2 C Sun Dried Tomatoes (with gentle oil)
About 3 C Artichoke Hearts
5 to 6 T Red Wine Vinegar
3 T Parsley
1/2 C Pine Nuts

If you are a fan of any or all of these ingredients PLEASE try this!  The flavor really pops!  YUM!  The texture is great, too!  It's a neat comfort food as well!

For my Breakfast today...I had a Blackberry Smoothie of sorts!  Here's what's in this:

1 1/2 C Almond Milk
1/2 Banana
1 Pint Blackberries
2 Small Dates
1 T Chia Seeds
6 drops of Vanilla NuNaturals Stevia

A word about Farro...

I'm by no means a Farro Guru.  I think including this dish I have only used it about 3 times so far.  But I'm REALLY loving this grain!  I guess that's why it's been around for over 5,000 years, eh!?  Not only because it's so tasty but because it's so GOOD for you!  It's high is fiber, protein, and a good source of complex carbs!  Just how much Fiber and Protein!?  Well, let me tell you!  Nature's Earthly Choice says that 1/4 C contains 5 grams or 21& of Fiber and 7 grams of Protein!  It also contains 2% Calcium and 12% Iron.  It acts like a sponge with spices, vinegars, flavored oils, and fruits and veggies which I really like, too!  But I keep going back to that chewy texture.  I guess those are just a few reasons why this grain has quickly gained a place in my heart!


  1. The farro sounds wonderful! The smoothie also looks great especially with NuNaturals Stevia. :-)

    1. Thanks! Let me know what you try with Farro, too! And looking forward to more NuNatural Posts and Ideas on your blog!

  2. Thanks for the Farro info - I have a bag of it in the kitchen that a friend gave me that I've been putting off trying till I figure out what to do with it! : )

    1. Can't wait to see what you come up with! Let me know :)

  3. I have some Farro in the pantry but haven't actually used it yet! Now you have given me the motivation to! lol
    Thanks! :-)

    1. Thanks! That's one of my goals! To use ingredients that I haven't used or used in a while!!! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

  4. Oh man... you had me at sundried tomatoes & artichoke hearts. That is like my fav combo right now. I just can't get enough of it. I think I went so long without them that I'm making up for lost time.

    1. I totally HEAR YA! LOVE LOVE that flavor combo!

    2. Hi Jennifer,
      I love the idea of adding the chewy, healthy farro to my diet. I can't wait to experiment with farro dishes! Thank you for turning me on to the joys of farro and for sharing this post on the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural hop!

    3. Farro is climbing up my grains list that is for sure! I will have to use it more often and post about my Farro Adventures again soon! Thanks for the feedback!