Thursday, October 4, 2012

Double Take Cookbook

Double Take: One Fabulous Recipe, Two Finished Dishes, Feeding Vegetarians and Omnivores Together
While I thought this book was a great idea because I, myself, am in a household where I am the only VEGGIE HEAD, this book was 'ok' and certainly serves a purpose but left me wanting, I guess.  I would never say anything negative about a cookbook with vegetarian options - I feel - the more the merrier, but, most of the recipes in this book mentioned to 'leave out the (meat) ingredients' or 'instead use Vegetarian Meat Substitute' for the vegetarian equivalent.  While I think that is alright, it really wasn't what I was looking for.  For the past 18+ years of being a vegetarian I have done that on a daily basis and am to the point in my journey of trying to do less processed foods, I think.  I found myself thumbing thru a lot of the recipes and not really stopping for those reasons as well as not really being interested in them, I suppose.  I never liked meat - even when I was a kid and not a vegetarian - and since I didn't like meats then I don't try to fill my meals with meat substitutes now.

Don't get me wrong...I'm glad this book is out there - especially for those transitioning and those trying to cook for both meat eaters and vegetarians a like - but I will be moving on to my next book for now.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like that was geared for someone that was omni, or perhaps trying to entice a nonveggie (who loves the meat texture) to try out a veggie version.

    I'm like yourself, I never was fond of eating meat products. There are so many delicious ways to prepare food without meat substitutes. Also, eliminating the meat substitutes is a much healthier way to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! So sorry I didn't respond to this when you originally posted it! Not sure how I missed it! I totally agree with you about the target audience of the book! And I agree with you about the meat substitutes, too!

      Delete