Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Blissful Journey - Fun, Family, Food

I have been mentioning some of the differences I have noticed since dropping dairy from my diet.  The main reason I decided to FINALLY make the switch for good was for my digestive health.  I know 'we all know what's good for us' but most people really need that 'last straw' or that 'wake up call' to really do anything about it.  Last year was mine.  I went my whole life KNOWING I was unable to properly digest dairy.  I just 'dealt with it' until I couldn't 'deal with it anymore'.  NOW...there is NO looking back!  I NEVER want to feel that way again...so...I won't!  But, like, I said, I have noticed LOTS of things since going vegan  including the BLUENESS of my eyes!  I've always had blue eyes but I think the hue or shade and/or depth of the blue has changed quite a bit.  I know I am not the only one to see this difference.  Even more drastically I have heard of Raw Foodists eyes changing from brown to blue in some cases!  I find this AMAZING!

Another photo I didn't post last week is this one of  Paco and Suzie who have been 'buddying up' more lately.  It kind of cracked me up that Suzie was sitting this way for like 2 hours while we watched a movie in the evening!  Paco decided to join her but on the sofa seat itself! 

The last several days I have been feeling pretty good and I think I am going to start some gentle yoga once again.  I have been wanting to do this for MONTHS but have refrained until I got to the root of the problem with my arches and sciatica.  I think I have learned some tips and tricks along the way and I am hoping I'm almost finished with my Chiropractic Adventures!

In other news I came across this photo on Instagram and REALLY WANT this mug now!  Many of you know I am a HUGE Tea Fan!  So much so that I am one of the co-founders of Sororitea Sisters.  Check it out if you have time!  I'm also a fan of Lionel Ritchie!  So this works well!

Not only that I enjoy 'play on words' and 'dry humor'.  I think that is also why I enjoy Jason Mraz and his music...the 'play on words', I mean.

Things are turning around at work lately and I am starting to get excited about it again.  It's still going to be HELLA busy but in a good way!
 And finally...here's a little food tidbit I would like to share with you!  I've posted about Dreena Burton's Hummus Quinoa Casserole before but I did it a bit different this time around.  It's one of my all time favorite dishes and it's so versatile!

Since it's Dreena's recipe from one of her cookbooks I won't post it here but I will tell you this time around I decided to make Black Bean Sweet Potato Hummus for the middle layer.  I just used 1 Sweet Potato, 1 C of Black Beans, Juice of 1 Lime, 2 heaping teaspoons of Tahini, 1 Clove of Garlic.  The bottom layer is cooked Quinoa - then the hummus for the middle layer - on top I did various veggies including Onion, Zukes, Colorful Sweet Peppers, and then I sprinkled mixed dried herbs and Fennel Seeds on top...as well as Balsamic.  I'll tell you...this hummus...is AWESOME!

14 comments:

  1. The first thing I noticed were your eyes, they're definitely much bluer than I remember. Funny, that I write that since I haven't met you in person (yet) been knowing you via my Vegan Momma website. Let's see my daughter was around three? That's seven years, since she's ten now.

    I like play on words too, and I love that cup. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, indeed! It's been a while since we started chatting! I think you are the only one I have kept in touch with since my first attempt at a blog. I stayed pretty hidden and cryptic back then and now I am letting things FLY :) lol

      Delete
    2. *I stayed pretty hidden and cryptic back then and now I am letting things FLY :)*

      Yeah I remembered that. Back then, I always wished you would come out of hiding.

      Delete
    3. I think I may have been more paranoid back then but now I'm just who I AM :)

      Delete
  2. Wow - that picture really shows how BLUE your eyes are! Lovely!

    Glad that vegan is making you feel so much better : )

    That casserole sounds really yummy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks! I also really like the way things are going because I am learning as I go and it's forcing me to make my own food instead of being lazy and buying as much processed/packaged stuff as I did before, ya know!?

      I'm having fun with it and it's GOOD for me and my health!

      Delete
  3. Very cool on your eyes, wow on the color. My have changed a little, but they've always been a dark blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - your eyes are crazy blue =) Love the feeling when things like that happen when I start eating healthier. I bet you don't even miss dairy... it's kinda gross ;p
    I keep meaning to take up yoga... it's been on my to-do list for ages. Does it really help you not go to the chiropractor as much???? I would love that!
    Ooh that black bean, sweet potato hummus sounds GOOD =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Kimmy! I do remember liking dairy - I'm not going to lie - that is why I didn't take the step sooner! I tried to years ago - but for me - I really needed that last wake-up call! Now that I know how much better I feel I would never go back!

      I hope to start gentle yoga again this week! I had a long weekend on my feet and knock on wood I'm still feeling pretty good AND I haven't had to go to the Chiro in about 3 weeks. I go again next week and HOPE I won't have to go back :)

      I totally LOVE that sweet potato and black bean flavor combo! YUMMERS! Very versatile, too!

      Delete
  5. I noticed the same thing with my blue eyes when I changed my diet. For me it was when I gave up refined sugar, and everything just brightened up! Your puppies are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks "Anonymous" - I am not sure who you are - but I hope you visit often :) Thanks for commenting and for the compliments! :)

      Delete
  6. Ooooo...I love that Lionel Richie mug! Nice play with the words... LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smile each time I see it! Kind of cracks me up each time!

      Delete