Friday, March 17, 2017

Sunshine Week & Snow Storms

Sorry I didn't post twice yesterday like I originally planned!  TODAY I will be posting at least twice so please check back soon!  

This week is Sunshine Week and as a new member of my local League of Women Voters I asked the local board members if they wanted to hold a Sunshine Week event for the first time this year.  I volunteered to head it up and they said YES!  I'm so VERY grateful for this wonderful group of ladies!  The LWV has truly changed my life for the better!  Women aren't the only members of the league - we have men that are members, too!

Anyways...back to Sunshine Week...

Sunshine Week is a national initiative spearheaded by the American Society of News Editors to educate the public about the importance of open government and the dangers of excessive and unnecessary secrecy. It was established in March 2005 with funding from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.  Sunshine Week occurs each year in mid-March, coinciding with James Madison's birthday and National Freedom of Information Day on the 16th.

During Sunshine Week, hundreds of media organizations, civic groups, libraries, nonprofits, schools and other participants engage public discussion on the importance of open government through news and feature articles and opinion columns; special Web pages and blogs; infographics; editorial cartoons; public service advertising; public seminars and forums. The purpose of the week is to highlight the fact that "government functions best when it operates in the open." Unfortunately, in many states legislatures exempt themselves from public-records laws, claiming "legislative immunity." Source: Wiki


What we did for our Sunshine Week Event was visit our court house.  Our Judge spoke with us - as did 2 of our Commissioners.  We then went on a tour of our historic Court House.

Even with the horrible snow storms we had going on this week - we had a completely engaged group of 14.  For it being the first time we've held anything like this AND with the weather I was pleased with the attendance.

February in our snow belt was AWESOME it was like SPRING!  I remember it being 70 degrees towards the end of the month.  March is another story!  It was about 6 degrees this morning when I looked.  And we got about a foot to a foot and a half in some areas.  The wind has been wicked.  There is a lot of ice and black ice on the side of the roads still.

So eventho it was Sunshine Week - we had Snow Storms!  OYE!

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome. As a former news reporter of 14 years, I'm a huge fan of sunshine laws. :-) Love that y'all had this awareness initiative. We also experienced some crappy temps over the past few days but nothing as bad as that! I don't think it's ever gotten that cold down south, but it was in the 20s and 30s earlier this week after a February filled with 75 degree days. Today, it's FINALLY warming back up — mid-60s! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mid 60s must be nice! LOL Yup! I've been in local media for about 18 years! Freedom of Info is a BIGGIE!!! I'm totally LOVING being a LWV Member, too! If you have one near you - I bet you would enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. What a great event, and very very important given what is going on right now.
    I hope it warms up for you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see if your area has a league near by - I know you would LOVE it! YES!!! It's more and more important with everything going on the last year or more!

      Delete
  3. That's so cool that you coordinated this event & had such a good group despite the weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an awesome event and really great that you're involved! Ugh on the weather, so sorry! I hope you get spring weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm LOVING the events that we have had the past year! So informative! Great groups of people, too!

      Delete